Two Jones County Schools won't be open due to damage from Florence


    (Jones County Public Schools logo)

    A North Carolina school superintendent says two of the six schools in his system will have to be demolished because of water damage caused by Hurricane Florence.

    Jones County School Superintendent Michael Bracy said Jones Middle and Trenton Elementary schools received at least 3 feet (0.9 meters) of water in portions of the respective buildings. Bracy said by the time workers could get into the schools, mold and mildew had already formed.

    Bracy says the system is building a brand new K-12 school for those students, scheduled to open in August 2019. In the meantime, efforts are underway to relocate them temporarily to other schools that weren’t affected by Florence.

    County Manager Franky Howard, Sheriff Danny Heath and Melissa Lamb from the Jones County Health Department conducted a Facebook Live earlier Tuesday where they discussed the damage to the school and other Hurricane Florence recovery. Howard said teachers were trying to salvage as many things at the school as they could.

    Click the video below to view the Facebook Live.


    News In Photos

      Loading ...