MENU
component-ddb-728x90-v1-01-desktop

NC mom warns others after mosquito bite leads to seizures, brain swelling of 6-year-old

Noah (GoFundMe)

CHARLOTTE, N.C. (WSET) -- A North Carolina mother is issuing a warning to other parents after her six-year-old son was sent to the hospital for nearly a week after being bit by a mosquito.

WCNC reported that little Noah first complained about a headache after he was bitten by a mosquito and that quickly turned into seizures and six days in the hospital.

"It's been very hard. Especially at nighttime, he wakes up and he cries, having nightmares," said Noah's mom, Lorianne Surrett.

She said doctors diagnosed him with La Crosse encephalitis, a virus transmitted through mosquito bites which can cause brain swelling.

According to the CDC, an average of 70 cases of encephalitis are reported in the U.S. each year.

Most severe cases happen in children under 16.

Surrett shared her story on Facebook and it's now gone viral. She hopes it will prove as a warning to parents everywhere.

Experts say when you become infected by a mosquito bite it takes 15 days for symptoms to show.

The best way to stay protected is to wear long sleeves and limit your time outdoors, especially near standing water.

There is a GoFundMe page to help with Noah's recovery.

close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off

Trending