Greenville fire ruled accidental, leaves four without place to live


    Wednesday morning fire displaces 4, cause ruled accidental (Greenville Fire/Rescue photo)<br>

    A fire Wednesday afternoon just blocks away from the campus at East Carolina University left four people looking for a place to live.

    "I was literally shaking, me and my roommates were like hugging," said Jordan Prince. "I ran outside and I saw the side of the house was in flames."

    The cause of the fire was ruled accidental Thursday morning. No injuries were reported, but the home sustained major damage.

    Prince recounted the moments she saw her neighbors' house go up in flames. Prince, an ECU student, was doing homework when she looked up and saw the blaze."

    According to Greenville Fire & Rescue, the fire the call came in at 4:30 p.m. Fortunately no one was home at the time.

    "Right when they opened the door, like a big black cloud of smoke popped out and it was just a lot worse than I thought," Prince said.

    Four people lived at the home and all of them are currently without a home. It's something that has Prince thinking.

    "It easily could've been us, we could've left something on, I don't know," Prince said. "It just happens a lot easier, it was surreal."

    Fire officials remind everyone of the importance of having working smoke alarms in the home. Greenville residents can contact Greenville Fire/Rescue for assistance with checking their smoke alarms free of charge.

    News In Photos

      Loading ...