Family complains of black mold, health issues at Jacksonville apartment
JACKSONVILLE, Onslow County —
Oscar Garcia and his family lived in an apartment until last week that was infested with hidden black mold.
Garcia said the mold led to health problems for his family. He walked us through the apartment at Lakewood Terrace in Jacksonville before the family moved out. You could see the black mold in several places.
Garcia said when he and his family moved into the apartment in November of 2017, they noticed management never properly cleaned it after the last tenant. He also said he contacted his landlord, Brunelli Enterprises, many times about the issue but he said they never sent anyone to inspect or clean the apartment.
January was when the family started experiencing health problems. Garcia said his doctor pointed to the black mold and said the family needed to get away from it.
"I wasn't the first to start having problems," Garcia said. "My daughter woke up with her eyes all swollen and puffy and so I ran her over to Onslow Memorial Hospital and they said it could be caused by the mold."
The Garcias said they were told by a mold specialist to get out of the apartment immediately. They stopped paying their rent, which eventually led to their eviction.
Brunelli Enterprises had no comment.
Garcia said he is taking legal action for justice for his family. He hopes it will prevent other families from having to go through such an ordeal in the future.
Click the above video to learn more from this story.