Barking dog alerts family to house fire

Razor was an extra good boy for his heroics in his barking to wake his owners during a house fire. (Stephanie Brown, NewsChannel 12 photo)

A home in Ayden is a total loss after an early morning fire Wednesday.

According to Ayden Fire Chief Barry Wood, firefighters were called to a home at 4588 Lee St just before 5 a.m. Two adults and one child were inside the home at the time.

Woods said it appears the family did not have a working smoke alarm and woke up to the sound of the dog barking. All three made it out safely, but the chief said the home is a total loss. According to Wood, the fire started in the kitchen and the cause is undetermined right now.

The residents who live in the home credit their four-legged friend for saving them from much worse. Three people were in the home at the time and they said the smoke alarm was not working. They said they can't imagine what the outcome would have been if it were not for Razor, the family dog.

"Normally my husband tells him 'Just hush, just go back to sleep'," said Tesha Taylor-House.

"So he kept on barking and he was shaking the cage," said Eric House. "So I opened my eyes and there was smoke all over the back bedroom."

He said then it was a race against time to get his wife and daughter out of the house.

"I ran through the kitchen, the whole kitchen was like engulfed in flames," Eric House said. "It was fire on top of the ceilings, the walls and everything.

"I burned my hand and got some burn marks where the fire fell across my back."

The burns will heal and the home can be rebuilt. He's thankful to their brave companion.

"Ever since then, that's all that's been going through my mind," Eric House said. "About what if he wasn't in the house? Most of the time, I used to let him sleep outside. But I'll never let him sleep outside again."

"Normally I'm always fussing at him for barking all the time in the house at that time of the night but this time, I'm glad he was and this time I'm not going to take it for granted anymore," said Tesha Taylor-House.

An investigation continued Wednesday into the cause of the fire. The Red Cross is assisting the family.

close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off