COROLLA, Currituck County (WCTI) — A young Corolla stallion has died from drinking contaminated water.
Officials with the Corolla Wild Horse Fund said Taco, age eight, was one of the more recognizable horses in the herd because of a large lump that had been on his hip since he was about two years old. They said the lump had nothing to do with his death -- it was a sterile abscess that never impacted his quality of life and was monitored closely and regularly by the herd’s vet -- but most people knew Taco because of it.
The vet has determined that Taco died from consuming contaminated water, and officials said he is the fourth horse in the last two years that died due to bacteria or other contaminants in the water.
Over the summer, officials said he managed to steal a large group of mares from another stallion and the organization was hopeful that he would produce some offspring.
Water has been collected from various locations in Taco’s territory and will be sent for testing next week. There is not much that can be done to rid the water of bacteria but having the information on hand at least gives officials an idea of which areas might be more problematic than others. That will allow them to keep an eye on the horses in those areas for signs of intestinal distress or other issues.