Police say body found is that of missing Uber driver case

James Stevens, left, and Diontray Adams (WSOC photos)

ROCK HILL, S.C. - UPDATE: WSOC in Charlotte reports the medical examiner confirmed the body found in Rock Hill, S.C. has been identified as missing Uber driver Marlo Johnis Medina-Chevez.



Charlotte-Mecklenburg police announced Thursday night that a body found in Rock Hill is believed to be that of missing Uber driver Marlo Johnis Medina-Chevez.

CMPD said that its homicide unit located a man's body in Rock Hill, South Carolina, and they believe it is Medina-Chevez. Authorities haven't positively identified the body.

CLICK HERE to keep up with the latest from WSOC in Charlotte

Sources told Channel 9 that the body found was severely beaten and bound.

CMPD Maj. Cam Selvey said investigators developed information that led to the search in a field off of Mount Gallant Road in Rock Hill. Selvey said the body has not been positively identified but authorities believe it is Medina-Chevez based on the clothing found on the body and the physical description.

Charlotte-Mecklenburg police are preparing murder, kidnapping and robbery warrants for Diontray Adams and James Stevens. The two were arrested Monday in Maryland after authorities said they were driving Medina-Chevez' SUV.

Homicide detectives determined that a credit card belonging to Medina-Chevez was used in Maryland.

On Monday, detectives drove to Maryland to continue their investigation and were notified around 11:50 p.m. that authorities received a license plate reader hit on Medina-Chevez's 2008 Nissan Pathfinder near the Chesapeake Bay Bridge.

Police told Channel 9 that they charged Diontray Adams and James Stevens for their involvement in the case. Adams, 25, is currently charged with financial credit card fraud along with outstanding Maryland warrants, while Stevens, 20, is currently charged with possession of a stolen vehicle.

They are still in jail in Maryland and fighting extradition, according to sources.

Selvey said authorities have not yet determined the cause of death.

"We were hoping for the best, planning for the worst, and unfortunately we have come across the worst," Selvey said.

Medina-Chevez had not been seen or heard from since Saturday night when he went out for his Uber shift.

Friends and family of Medina-Chevez are remembering him as a great husband, loving father and man of faith.

"He was a religious man so he would do a lot of volunteer work, Bible classes, talking about his God to other people as well," friend Louis Maigon said.

Medina-Chevez was spontaneous and fun, Maigon said.

"He was very loved in the community and he always liked to travel, and some days after service, he would tell his wife Elsa, 'Let's go somewhere,' and Elsa would say, 'Where do we go?' And he would say, 'Who cares? Let's just go and get lost and just find something new to do,'" Maigon said.

Medina-Chevez was the only one working in the family, but since the arrest, friends have also raised more than $15,000 to help out the family.

close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off