Hotel in Martin County engulfed in flames overnight

(Aisha Mbowe/NewsChannel 12)

WILLIAMSTON, Martin County - A fire that broke out overnight at the Magnuson Hotel in Williamston caused significant damage as was still smoldering early Thursday morning.

NewsChannel 12's Aisha Mbowe was on scene, reporting that the fire struck in the restaurant and lobby areas of the hotel. Williamston Fire Chief James Peele said the fire appears to have started in an electrical room.

Peele said when firefighters first got on scene, they could hear the wires popping, which created an unsafe situation. Utility workers had to shut off power before firefighters could begin battling the blaze.

The fire was reported by a passerby at roughly 9:30 p.m. Wednesday. The Williamston Hotel is located at 101 East Blvd in the heart of town. Firefighters from Robersonville, Jamesville and Bear Grass assisted Williamston Fire in battling the blaze.

Right now the hotel is undergoing some renovations and so two of the four wings are not open to the public. The fire occurred in the areas that were closed.

No injuries were reported.