Former Marine pleads guilty to 2012 beach bingo hall murder


JACKSONVILLE, Onslow County - The former Marine accused of murdering a grandmother outside of a Jacksonville beach bingo business has pleaded guilty to the crime nearly five years after the incident.

Larry Forrest pleaded guilty on the afternoon of November 15 to second degree murder, attempted robbery with a dangerous weapon and robbery with a dangerous weapon.

Video surveillance indicated that the victim, Kim Flourney, was trying to keep her purse from being stolen. Her purse contained more than $700.

A Marine federal credit union receipt was found at the scene and officials said that Forrest was having financial troubles at the time of the incident.

Flourney was 65-years-old and looking to retire. She died two days after the incident, on her daughter's birthday.

"He made real to my children that bad things happen to people you love," Kim Flourney DiJoseph, the daughter, said.

The judge on the case found Forrest guilty on all charges. Forrest was sentenced consecutively to a minimum of 25 years for second degree murder, a minimum of five years for attempted robbery with dangerous weapon and a minimum of five years for robbery with dangerous weapon.

Forrest is now a convicted felon. He was ordered to pay $250 in restitution and submit to a substance abuse assessment, as well as a mental health assessment. He is to have no contact with the family of the victim.

"This is not closure," Flourney DiJoseph said. "This is an opening for anyone to walk through."



Another arrest has been made in the bingo hall shooting of Kim Flournoy last December.

According a warrant from the Onslow County Sheriff's Office obtained by NewsChannel 12, James Edward Williamson was arrested today. The warrant says Williamson conspired with Larry Forrest to kill Kim Flournoy on December 30, 2012.

Williamson is charged with one count of murder, one count of attempted robbery and conspiracy to commit robbery. He is an active duty marine corporal and was taken into custody at Camp Lejeune today. Williamson is in the Onslow County Jail, being held without bond.

Another Camp Lejeune Marine, Larry Forrest, was arrested on April 16, 2013 and charged with an open count of murder. Forrest is also in the Onslow County Jail, without bond.

NewsChannel 12 will continue to follow any new developments in this story.


The daughter of Kim Hua Flournoy, the grandmother shot and killed outside a Jacksonville bingo hall in late December, shared with NewsChannel 12 how her family is coping.

"I think it has been up and down, it comes in waves. You know, a little thing that I'll see or something my son will do, and I'll catch myself forgetting that [my mother] is dead and thinking 'oh, she would love to see this,'" said Kim Flournoy DiJoseph, the victim's daughter.

Flournoy, 65, was shot and killed in the parking lot of TNT Bingo, located at 205 Henderson Drive in Jacksonville. The murder happened at about 7:42 p.m. on Dec. 30. Flournoy was entering the building when she was killed, police said.

A Camp Lejeune Marine was arrested on Tuesday for Flournoy's murder. PFC Larry Forrest, 21, of Piney Green Rd., is charged with an open count of murder and robbery with a dangerous weapon.

Forrest appeared in the Onslow County Courthouse Wednesday morning, and was told that he could get the death penalty if convicted. Flournoy's daughter was in the courtroom too, and told NewsChannel 12 how she felt.

"I think there was a certain sense of ease. That kind of sense of calm, which was kind of the opposite of what I thought it would be like," DiJoseph said.

In a surveillance video of the murder, the suspect can be seen holding up a gun, before running off. The suspect then got into a white Dodge Avenger. That car helped lead officers to Forrest, said Jacksonville Police Chief Mike Yaniero.

The vehicle was rented from Albert J. Ellis Airport on Dec. 24, 2012. When police executed the search warrant, they found ammunition and gloves in the car, as well as clothing worn on the night of the shooting, Chief Yaniero said.

Investigators also said Forrest and his wife may have lied about his alibi that night.

Forrest is an ammunition technician for the 2nd Supply Battalion Combat Logistics Regiment 25, based at Camp Lejeune. He has been a suspect in the murder since January, according to 1st Lt. James Stenger, Camp Lejeune's public affairs officer. Stenger said it's too soon to speculate what action base officials will take against the suspect.

Forrest is being held in the Onslow County Jail without bond. His next court appearance is scheduled for May 8.

Jacksonville Police say they think two other people involved in the crime, and officers are asking for the public's help in finding them. Those with information are asked to call Detective Gary Manning or Detective Michael Groom at 910-938-6405. They can also be reached via email at and

The public can also anonymously contact Crimestoppers at 910-938-3273. A reward of $25,000 is being offered, part of which came from local businesses, including TNT Bingo. DiJoseph said it's support from the community that got her family through the tough time.

"Both my brother and I left Jacksonville a long time ago. But it's always been our hometown. And so to get that level of support at a place that we grew up in has been really amazing," DiJoseph said.

Flournoy had celebrated her 65th birthday just days before her death, police said. She had recently became a grandmother.