MENU
component-ddb-728x90-v1-01-desktop

Dog saves family in house fire

fire2-1488339064583-5998280-ver1-0.JPG

VANCEBORO, Craven Co. - The Wetheringtons were asleep in their home in Vanceboro when Lola, their puppy, started barking. Deseree Wetherington said at first, she ignored the barks, but then she noticed something bright in the kitchen.

"It just got really hot and really bright and very very loud so I knew I had to get out," she said.

She first attempted to put the fire out, before realizing it was too big to do so. She then searched the house for her three children.

"I had to walk right past the hottest part of the fire and I made it back into the living room and thank God I did because my oldest was in the living room," Wetherington said.

Everyone made it out alive, except for Lola, the puppy who woke them.

The family lost everything, but the support from the community has been overwhelming.

Friends at Pamlico Community College and the New Bern Civic Theater collected clothes and toiletries for the family. The Lenoir County Archers started a GoFundMe for them, as well as a close family friend.

close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off

Trending