Entertainment group seeks new headliners for rescheduled Carolina Kickoff
GREENVILLE, Pitt County - With some fans expressing disappointment in the decision to postpone the Carolina Kickoff concert until the spring, just about all of the players involved in the matter are trying to set the record straight.
Blake Shelton, who cannot perform at the rescheduled event on April 21 due to obligations with "The Voice," tweeted out on Friday that he had no part in changing the Aug. 19 date that the concert was originally set for.
"Hello to my fans in Greenville and the surrounding area," Shelton wrote. "I wanna be clear that the Greenville concert cancel had NOTHING to do with me/my camp. I was ready to play! The move was due to the universities direction to limit damage to the football field."
But ECU said the decision was made by BASIS Entertainment, which is in charge of scheduling the artists and putting on the show. ECU Associate Athletic Director JJ McLamb said ECU had no part in the rescheduling.
"What we want to communicate to all of our fans in eastern North Carolina is that BASIS Entertainment is the sole owner and operator of the Carolina Kickoff," he said. "This rescheduled date came at their discretion and (was) their sole decision to move the date."
For those that had already purchased tickets, those tickets will be honored for the April 21 date. Additionally, a free show will be held inside Williams Arena at Minges Coliseum on Aug. 19 featuring Big & Rich, Tucker Beathard and eastern North Carolina's own Parmalee.
BASIS is working to secure new headliners for the April 21 concert. Fans have until Tuesday, Aug. 8, to reserve tickets for the Aug. 19 free show and can do so online.