Player who had sexual battery charges dropped returns to UNC football team
CHAPEL HILL - The University of North Carolina football player who had sexual battery charges against him dropped in court last week has been granted to return to the school's team.
UNC Athletic Director Bubba Cunningham tweeted out a statement Thursday saying "After conversations with Coach (Larry) Fedora and Allen, we have reinstated Allen to our football program effective immediately."
Artis was charged in September and attorneys on both sides said last week they were preparing to go to trial in July. Instead, Orange County district attorney Jim Woodall signed a document last week allowing for the dismissal of the charges because "the matter has been resolved to the satisfaction of the parties."
Artis - a reserve linebacker from Marietta, Georgia - has been indefinitely suspended from the team amid the case. He said last week he is still enrolled at UNC and is "keeping my options open" about returning to football.